Quantitative Equity Research Associate
- Hotchkis & Wiley Capital Management
- Los Angeles, California
- Please see job description
- Jan 05, 2023
- Mar 06, 2023
- Job Function
- Equities Research: Buy Side
- Industry Sector
- Asset Management
- CFA Charterholder, Passed CFA Level I, Passed CFA Level II, Passed CFA Level III (Charter Pending)
- Employment Type
- Full Time
About the Position
Hotchkis & Wiley is seeking a highly motivated individual to become part of our Research Associate Program. The Research Associates support our Investment Team, which currently consists of 24 members. The Quantitative Equity Research Associate is a two year opportunity, but the company may extend the position to four years to incorporate increased exposure to fundamental company analysis. The position would provide an excellent foundation for someone who wants to pursue a long term career in finance as a highly skilled professional investor. The Research Associate program provides competitive compensation, strong exit opportunities, and an attractive work-life balance within a highly collegial culture.
Hotchkis & Wiley is a research-driven institutional asset management firm with a team-oriented, collaborative culture. We have a strong track record of identifying attractive investment opportunities globally across the entire market capitalization range and across the capital structure for publicly traded securities. Our experienced team of investment professionals is committed to providing individual mentorship to our Research Associates and helping our Research Associates develop investment judgment over time.
The Quantitative Equity Research Associate will work together with our equity analysts/portfolio managers in conducting in-depth fundamental and quantitative research for our clients, including financial modeling and the development and maintenance of our financial data infrastructure. The position is located in Los Angeles and offers a hybrid of in-office and work from home flexibility.
While this program was originally designed to give pre-MBA candidates the unique opportunity to experience the asset management business prior to Business School, we may consider MFin or Master’s level candidates whom we believe would derive benefit from our program. Note that the applicant must be able to legally work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Develop and maintain proprietary analytical models and databases
- Collaborate with the investment team on research projects, including building tools to streamline the investment process
- Develop and maintain our Bloomberg financial data infrastructure
- Prepare investment update memos and participate in the fundamental research process
- Understand and incorporate relevant economic and industry trends
- Support colleagues on projects including portfolio analytics, portfolio reporting, and client service
- Provide analysis for client service as needed
Skills & Experience Required
- Bachelor’s Degree (CFA a plus) with excellent academic credentials
- 1-3 years of relevant experience in pension fund consulting, investment banking, accounting, or related financial services
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, including intermediate knowledge of Excel, accounting and finance. Experience with Bloomberg a plus. Knowledge of Python programming also a plus
- Good communication skills, particularly written
- A passion for equity investing combined with creativity, integrity, and intellectual honesty
- Clients first mentality: a positive, energetic, and responsive attitude
- Team oriented individual who is willing to take the initiative and accept increasing responsibility
The expected base salary range for this position is generally between $80,000 to $100,000 per year. This position is eligible for a discretionary bonus as part of a total compensation package which also includes our company sponsored benefit programs. Base salary is determined on an individualized basis and may vary based on factors including but not limited to education, training, experience, and market factors.
About Hotchkis & Wiley
Hotchkis & Wiley is an institutional asset management firm overseeing U.S. and global value equity and high yield portfolios for clients worldwide. The firm currently manages approximately $30 billion in assets and is majority owned by its management and employees. For more information refer to our website, www.hwcm.com.
Hotchkis & Wiley is an Equal Opportunity employer (EEO), and all employees and applicants will be entitled to equal employment opportunities when employment decisions are made. Hotchkis & Wiley will take affirmative action to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals in all job classifications without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, pregnancy, veteran status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, gender identity, or membership in a historically under-represented group.