CFA Institute Career Center
Last updated: 6 June 2018
CFA Institute is a not-for-profit professional membership association committed to leading the investment profession globally. We are located at 915 East High Street, Charlottesville, VA, 22902, and we own and operate this CFA Institute Career Center website (the "Site"). CFA Institute together, directly, or via its member societies (“we”, “us”), provides this Site primarily as a platform to connect Employers and Job Seekers. Through this Site:
· third party employers and recruiters hiring candidates on their behalf ("Employers") may post job opportunities and candidates, members and other individuals with access to the site
· ("Job Seekers") may search for and apply to such job opportunities.
· describes how we gather use, process, transfer, share, and protect individually identifiable information ("Personal Information") through the Site,
· contains some additional terms related specifically to your use of this Site whether as a guest or registered user (“User”, “you”, “your”),
· applies to Personal Information that we collect through the Site, as well as offline collections of Personal Information about Employers and Job Seekers, and
· describes your personal data privacy rights.
Summary of Key Points
· By using the Site or providing Personal Information to us you consent to our processing and transfer of your Personal Information as we describe here.
· We share Job Seeker Personal Information with Employers and other partners which provide products and services that may be of interest to you. Learn more here.
· We share Employer Personal Information with our Member Societies, Job Seekers, and third-party service providers. Learn more here.
· Employers can change their preferences for how we contact them and view their Personal Information on file with us at any time by visiting their Career Center Account. Learn more here
· Job Seekers can change their preferences for how we contact them and view their Personal Information on file with us at any time by visiting their CFA Institute Account at cfainstitute.org. Job Seekers may also manage their Job Alert preferences through their profile on the Site. Learn more here
· When we process your Personal Information based on your consent, you have a right to withdraw your consent. We also provide you additional rights to access, rectify, and erase your Personal Information, to obtain a portable copy of your Personal Information, and to restrict or object to our processing of your Personal Information. These rights are limited under the applicable local data protection law. Learn more here
· We maintain reasonable and appropriate technical, physical, and administrative measures to protect the security of your Personal Information. Access to Personal Information is limited. Learn more here
· If we make any material changes to our privacy practices, we will post a prominent notice on our Site notifying users of the change. Learn more here
Cross-Border Data Transfers
If you are located in a country other than the United States, you consent to the transfer of your Personal Information to us in the United States, to third party data processors located in the United States that we select and to local Member Societies and third parties in other countries as we select. Other countries may not provide a level of data protection to your Personal Information equivalent to that provided by your home country.
The Information We Collect
Bases for Processing
Our bases for processing your Personal Information are:
· Contractual Necessity,
· Our Legitimate Interests,
· Compliance with Legal Obligations, and
· Where necessary, Consent
Before we process Personal Information on the basis of our legitimate interests we review our processing in light of the interests and fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject taking into account their reasonable expectations. Where we believe those interests or fundamental rights and freedoms override our legitimate interests, we will seek another valid basis for processing your Personal Information or refrain from that processing activity. Examples of our “legitimate interests” for processing your Personal Information include (but are not limited to):
· processing for direct marketing purposes or preventing fraud
· transmission of personal data for internal administrative purposes
· processing for the purposes of ensuring network and information security
· reporting possible criminal acts or threats to public security to a competent authority
Information you provide to CFA Institute
The information that we collect from you in relation to this Site may include the following (“Personal Information”):
· From Job Seekers
- recruitment-related information, including information regarding previous and current work experience (e.g., resumes or curricula vitae),
- qualifications and work history (e.g., job titles and function experience),
- educational background,
- language skills,
- professional skills and talents,
- professional memberships,
- community involvement,
- current geographic location and mobility interests, and
- desired future work experience (e.g., desired future title, job function, and compensation).
If you provide details of a reference, it is your responsibility to ensure that the referee is aware that you have provided his/her details to this Site, and has consented in writing for you to do so.
· From Employers
· business contact details (e.g., contact name and title, company name, address, email address, telephone number),
· other information about your business (e.g., company size and business type), and
· information necessary to verify your account (e.g., Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN), Business Registration information, or a utility bill).
· Other Information
For purposes of verification, Site security, and fraud prevention we may also collect publicly available information about Users (including Job Seekers and Employers) from other sources, such as information from newspapers, blogs, and commercial websites.
How We Use Information
The purposes for which we process your Personal Information are:
· General Site membership and account management
· Processing applications and orders that you submit
· Site management and improvement
· Communicating with you about your account or use of the Site, services, and/or functionality (e.g., corresponding with you regarding your submitted job opportunities or job applications)
For Job Seekers we may also use your Personal Information to:
· Create a profile for you on the Site;
· Personalize your experience on the Site, including, but not limited to, displaying relevant job opportunities;
· Provide services to Employers to facilitate the recruitment and hiring process, which may include providing your resume and other recruitment-related information described above to prospective employers who have posted positions for which you may be qualified;
· Provide information about products or services that may be of interest to you or correspond with you regarding such products or services (if you have opted to receive such information with us); and
· Modify or improve the services and functionality offered on the Site.
We may also send you communications about job opportunities and other information that may be of interest to you (if you have opted to receive such information with us). We will provide you with the opportunity to opt out of receiving such information in each such communication.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technology
Cookies are small pieces of information that a website transfers to your computer. Our Site uses session ID cookies (expire when you close the browser) and persistent cookies (persist even after you close the browser), which help our Site run more smoothly and tailor content for you. Most web browsers have options that allow you to control whether to accept cookies and give you the option to delete all cookies. However, disabling may prevent access to some parts of our Site.
If you wish to not be tracked during your visit to our Site, please follow your browser's “Do Not Track” instructions or contact your browser provider for more information. By sending a Do Not Track Signal, you may be unable to use or access some features of our Site.
Clear Gifs (Web Beacons/Web Bugs)
Our Site may employ a software technology called clear gifs (a.k.a. Web Beacons/Web Bugs), which helps us to better manage content on our Site by informing us what content is viewed or clicked on. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a visitor's computer, clear gifs are embedded invisibly on web pages and e-mails and are about the size of a period.
We also gather Personal Information automatically and store it in log files. For instance, when you visit our Site, the server may automatically recognize information about you, including: the date and time you visited our Site, the pages you visited, the referrer (the website you came from), the type of browser you are using (e.g., Firefox, Internet Explorer), the type of operating system you are using (e.g., Windows or Mac OS), and the domain name and address of your internet service provider.
How We Share Information
· third party processors and transaction processing, including John Wiley & Sons, Inc., who assists us in the operation of the Site,
· third party products and services,
· Member Societies, and
· legal compliance.
For Job Seekers:
· We may share your Personal Information with Employers. When you apply to a job through the Site, we will disclose the Personal Information in your application to the Employers you select to process your order.
Your Communication Preferences
Employers may change their preferences for how we contact them at any time by visiting their account on the Site.
Job Seekers may change their preferences for how we contact them at any time by visiting their account with us (account login required) at cfainsititute.org or your local society’s site, as applicable.
To provide you with superior service, we may contact you to resolve a problem even if you have asked us not to contact you for other purposes.
Accessing and Updating Your Personal Information
You may view your Personal Information on file with us at any time by visiting Your Account (account login required) on the Site, where you may change some of your Personal Information. Please note that we may require additional information to authenticate your identity.
We provide you with the rights to:
· Withdraw your consent to processing your Personal Information.
· Request access to your Personal Information.
· Request rectification of your Personal Information.
· Request erasure of your Personal Information.
· Request restriction of processing of your Personal Information.
· Request data portability.
· Object to the processing of your Personal Information (including objection to profiling).
Please note that all of these rights are limited under your applicable local data protection law. If you exercise or seek to exercise any of those rights, our obligations to respond are limited by and subject to applicable law.
Right to withdraw your consent
If a specific element of our processing of your Personal Information relies upon your consent, you may withdraw your consent at any time with future effect. Such a withdrawal will not affect the lawfulness of the processing prior to the consent withdrawal.
Right to request access
As described above, you may view your Personal Information on file with us at any time by visiting Your Account (account login required) on the Site, where you may change some of your Personal Information.
You also have the right to obtain from us confirmation as to whether Personal Information concerning you is being processed, and, where that is the case, to request access to the Personal Information. This access information includes:
• the purposes of the processing,
• the categories of Personal Information concerned, and
• the recipients or categories of recipient to whom the Personal Information have been or will be disclosed.
However, this is not an absolute right and the interests of other individuals can restrict your right of access.
Right to request rectification
You have the right to obtain from us the rectification of inaccurate Personal Information concerning you. Depending on the purposes of the processing, you may have the right to have incomplete Personal Information completed, including by means of providing a supplementary statement. You may also change some of your Personal Information by visiting Your Account as described above in “Accessing and Updating Your Personal Information”.
Right to request erasure (“Right to be forgotten”)
Under some circumstances, you have the right to obtain from us the erasure of Personal Information concerning you.
Right to request restriction of processing
Under some circumstances, you have the right to obtain from us restriction of processing your Personal Information. In such case, the respective data will be marked and may only be processed by us for certain purposes.
Right to request data portability
Under certain circumstances, you have the right to receive the Personal Information concerning you, which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and you have the right to transmit those data to another entity without hindrance from us.
Right to object
Under certain circumstances, you have the right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, at any time to the processing of your Personal Information by us and we can be required to no longer process your Personal Information. Such right to object may especially apply if we collect and process your Personal Information for profiling purposes in order to better understand your interests in our products and services or for direct marketing. If you have a right to object and you exercise this right, your Personal Information will no longer be processed for such purposes by us. Such a right to object may, in particular, not exist if the processing of your Personal Information is necessary to take steps prior to entering into a contract or to perform a contract already concluded.
To exercise your rights, please contact us as stated under “Contact Us”. In some cases you also have the right to lodge a complaint with the competent data protection supervisory authority.
We maintain reasonable and appropriate technical, physical, and administrative measures to protect the security of your Personal Information. Access to Personal Information is limited to only those employees, contractors, or our agents who we have authorized to access such Personal Information and such access is limited to the extent such information is needed to fulfill the task for which the Personal Information was collected. While we strive to protect your Personal Information, we cannot ensure the security of the information you transmit. We recommend you take every precaution in protecting your Personal Information when you are on the internet. For example, change your passwords often, use a combination of letters and numbers when creating passwords, and make sure you use a secure browser.
If we make any changes to this Policy that materially and adversely impacts previously collected information about you, we will obtain your prior express consent for processing information previously collected about you in such a manner.
For information about this policy or CFA Institute privacy practices, you may contact our privacy officer at email@example.com. For general questions about this site or to exercise your rights as described above, you may contact us here.